Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recipe:  Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Source:  The Interwebs

Servings:  18
Serving Size:  One muffin

Ingredients:
1 box spice cake mix
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the three ingredients until all of the dry mix is moistened and integrated with the pumpkin and water.  It should be a smooth consistency, but slightly thicker than a regular cake mix.
  2. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and then fill with the batter, about 3/4 full.  (These do not rise much when you bake them.)
  3. Bake according to the directions for cupcakes on the spice cake mix box.

Our Thoughts:
I really, really love these muffins.  They are denser and more moist than regular muffins, but that's a texture I really like.  The taste is amazing.  It's the perfect cross between a gingerbread/spice cake/pumpkin bread taste, which is really great in the fall and winter, but I imagine is awesome anytime.  I eat them warm or room temperature, plain.  Scott also likes these.  I think his level of like is slightly less than mine.  He probably prefers a cakier consistency (which I saw on a message board you can achieve by adding 1/2 cup egg beaters to the recipe).  He likes to eat them warm with a bit of butter (we use Brummel and Brown) spread on them.  Other message board options:  adding chocolate chips or cinnamon chips!

Rating:  3.5 out of 5 stars! (Really, I only lowered it this much because I didn't want Scott to disagree with my rating--I'd probably put it at a 4!)

Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories:  121
Fat:  2.4g
Protein:  1.6g
Carbohydrates:  24.6g
Fiber:  0.7g
Cholesterol:  0mg
Iron:  unsure
Sodium:  188mg
Calcium:  unsure

No comments: